The Life Bath

Podcast & Blog

Dobson & Parnell Newcastle Review

Dobson & Parnell Newcastle Review

I am incredibly lucky to have met some amazing people through blogging, and my friend Chloe is definitely one of those people. Chloe runs the North East blog New Girl In Toon which is just fabulous and you have to check her out. Chloe was kind enough to invite me along as her plus one to review Dobson & Parnell; an amazing new restaurant on Newcastle Quayside from the people that brought you Blackfriars and Hinnies, two of the North East's most prestigious restaurants. 

Usually, when I go out with Chloe I just enjoy the food, drinks and of course mainly catching up with her, but I thought what better opportunity to jump back into my food reviews than with this beautiful new addition to Newcastle's restaurant scene?

Dobson & Parnell Newcastle Review

Straight away I knew it was a "fancy" restaurant as they asked if they could take my coat and put it behind a very posh looking curtain (I'm so glad I didn't wear my trainers!). Straight away you notice how stunning the dining area is, I felt like I was taking a step back in time with the exposed brick and white glossy tiles. Not in an old-fashioned way, in a comforting way, if that makes sense! 

We were waited on by Daren whose knowledge of the food and restaurant was second to none. We ordered off the Daily Set Menu and you would think with only 3 dishes to choose from it would be easy to order but they all sounded so delicious.

The beautiful thing about Dobson & Parnell is that they use fresh local produce. Head chef Troy Terrington was quoted in an interview with the Newcastle Chronicle that "his menus will be re-written every day depending on the freshest produce he can find, will use ethically-sourced local, seasonal produce directly from nearby farms and markets." And this really shows in the dishes I had.

To start I went for the North Shields crab with mariners relish, fermented turnip, and fennel shoots.
I love seafood so any opportunity to have it I will. It was delicious as expected, it was very light and the freshness of the ingredients really shone through. 

Dobson & Parnell Newcastle Review


For my main, I went for Roasted corn-fed chicken heritage carrots, confit cabbage heart, and pancetta. The chicken was moist and the gravy was perfection, I love gravy and if it was acceptable to have it as a drink I would! The one thing I always think when dishes like this are put in front of me is: "umm, is that going to be enough food?" as I am stupidly conditioned to need large portions or sides of chips, but as my eyes are well and truly bigger than my belly this meal was the perfect amount and beautifully presented. Our waiter explained the food as he gave it to us and where in Northumberland all the fresh produce was from which I think is a lovely touch. 

Dobson & Parnell Newcastle Review

Dobson & Parnell Newcastle Review

For dessert, I opted for the Yorkshire rhubarb, ricotta and white chocolate parfait, and whey fudge. Which I have to say was one of the nicest desserts I have had in a very long time, the rhubarb was just incredible. I shouldn't have had it as I have a lactose intolerance, but sometimes I just can't resist and take the consequences, silly I know.

Dobson & Parnell Newcastle Review


I can confidently say I will be back and will be bringing my husband with me, and I suggest you give Dobson & Parnell a try. The restaurant is open 6 days a week serving lunch and dinner along with Sunday dinner, which I am the most excited to try.

Let me know if you have tried Dobson & Parnell yet, and what you thought of it too!


Contact details
21 Queen Street, 
Newcastle Upon Tyne, 
NE1 3UG 
Telephone 0191 221 0904
email info@dobsonandparnell.co.uk



Share:

7 comments

  1. Oh it looks lovely Kelly - I really like the interior and their ethos. Steve and I have a table booked for lunch tomorrow and I'm looking forward to it even more now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was so nice, really cant wait to go for Sunday dinner

      Delete
  2. This sounds lovely I am adding it to my list of eateries!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for being such lovely company - I'm still dreaming about that amazing dessert!

    ReplyDelete
  4. All these new foodie places opening up -- it's heaven. Defintely one for me to investigate to try with my OH. Really like your photos, Kelly :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That loks amazing. I will have to find an excuse to visit. I love Blackfriars and Hinnies and was a regular at Andy Hook's first restaurant Sidneys (much missed in Tynemouth)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful post,such a great post,i really like it,Thanks for sharing.Newcastle tourist information

    ReplyDelete

Blog Design Created by pipdig