The Life Bath

Podcast & Blog

Sunday Dinner in Newcastle - Revolution Bar

Sunday Dinner in Newcastle - Revolution Bar

This really shouldn't be something I admit to, but I have never been in Revolution sober. I realised this when I walked into Revolution in Newcastle last Sunday and couldn't believe how beautiful the building was, this photo really doesn't do it justice. The architecture is incredible, however, this isn't something you really look at when you have had a few too many gins and you are fighting your way to the bar for a shot roulette! As much as I know you would all love to hear about my drunken escapades this post isn't about that; it is all about one of my favourite things in life, the infamous Sunday Dinner.


Quick question before we start, is it Sunday Dinner or Sunday Lunch to you? I have always said Sunday Dinner. I suppose tomato/tomato (I realise now that when written down that expression doesn't really have much impact, lol!) 

Sunday Dinner in Newcastle - Revolution Bar

Finally to the point. Last Sunday, Thom and I were invited along to Revolution in Newcastle for Soul on Sunday which is a Sunday dinner menu with a live band singing soul music. I love live music and I love Sunday dinner so we were hoping for good things. 

I never think about going into the centre of Newcastle for Sunday dinner/lunch. We always seem to drive to little pubs in the country which is lovely, but Newcastle is such an incredible city it was nice to wander around, do a little shopping, and then stop for a delicious Sunday dinner at Revolution.

*Spoiler Alert* the rest of this post is describing just how delicious.

Sunday Dinner in Newcastle - Revolution Bar

The band that brought soul factor was called Watson & The Elements. The lead singer had a beautiful voice which Thom described as being similar to Van Morrison's. I thought they were great and really easy to listen to. They played a lot of soul classics and it was funny hearing a live band on a Sunday afternoon serenade you and the rest of the bar with R-Kelly's Bump N' Grind (I had to put the link to the music video, its a classic. Enjoy!)

We were sat in a booth which was comfy and spacious. Thom ordered a coffee which came in a proper cafetiere which I thought was a lovely touch. I really liked the menus as they were simple mock newspapers which were easy to read and find what you wanted, they even had a bit of info on Watson & The Elements.

You have a selection of either 2 courses or all 3 courses. This style of menu has become very popular recently and I am not sure I 100% like it as sometimes you just don't want a starter or a dessert, you just want to devour as much meat and veg (yes I hear it) as possible before your jeans burst! Or is that just me?

Even though there were only 4 dishes on each course to choose from, the food options were good and I personally like this as it stops me staring at the menu for hours.

Sunday Dinner in Newcastle - Revolution Bar

Starters

I went for the Mango Chicken & Ricotta Salad, House Flatbread and Pomegranates. It was presented beautifully which actually took me by surprise as Revolution is effectively a pub but the food was high-quality restaurant food which was great to see. Mine was nice, nothing to write home about but I enjoyed it. Thom ordered the Breaded Halloumi with Hummus, Dukkah, House Flatbread & Pomegranate. As we always share our food I ate some of this as well and we were both in agreement that it was absolutely delicious, the hummus was creamy and flavourful and the Halloumi baked perfectly. I think that was the point we agreed we would definitely come back even just to eat that again.

Sunday Dinner in Newcastle - Revolution Bar

The Main Attraction


Luckily neither of us are "Joey from Friends" and we always get food that we can share, so as soon as we saw the Roast Chicken for Two with Balsamic Onions we knew that's what we were going to get. We weren't expecting a whole chicken, so when they placed the wooden crate (yes, an actual crate!) containing our dinner down in front of us we were very happy with the amount of food. To be honest, we struggled to eat it all! 

The crate is a nice touch I think, it contained all of the food which included roast potatoes, roast parsnips, carrots, Yorkshire pudding, and balsamic roast onions. As our eyes are bigger than our bellies we also ordered cauliflower cheese as no Sunday dinner is complete without it.

The food was delicious, the chicken was so soft and juicy and just fell off the bone, the roast potatoes were cooked through and crispy and the same with the veg. I loved that it was just root veg as well and there wasn't any soggy cabbage or overcooked greens. The Yorkshire puddings were huge and you could tell they were homemade. 

I love a home-cooked Sunday dinner as there are always leftovers and loads of food, so when going out I don't like places that give you a set plate of food as there is always a worry you are just going to get one slice of meat and one of each veg. A carvery is a good alternative to this as you get to choose your own portions, but I hate having to queue up get your ticket, then walk back to your table trying to balance your plate so you don't spill the swimming pool of gravy you have drowned your food in. So Revolutions Sunday Dinner was a perfect combination of all 3. Delicious homemade food, table service and big portions... Perfect.

Sunday Dinner in Newcastle - Revolution Bar

Sunday Dinner in Newcastle - Revolution Bar

Sunday Dinner in Newcastle - Revolution Bar

Sunday Dinner in Newcastle - Revolution Bar

Dessert 

I think I have mentioned on here before that I am actually lactose intolerant so usually eating off any dessert menu is impossible, however, I recently discovered some tablets from Holland and Barret that help you to digest lactose. What better way to put them to the test than with huge dairy-filled deserts? Unfortunately, these tablets don't take the calories out of food so it wasn't too great for the diet!

The photos pretty much tell you all you need to know, they were incredible. We went for the apple pie and the chocolate brownie and I have to say the brownie was one of the nicest ones I have ever had, soft and gooey and just delicious. I liked the ice cream as it was what I call 'fancy ice cream', which basically means you can see the little black vanilla pod seeds!

Sunday Dinner in Newcastle - Revolution Bar

Sunday Dinner in Newcastle - Revolution Bar

Overall we had such a lovely meal and the live band was a great touch. I am really happy Revolution Newcastle invited us along to experience their Soul on Sunday as I honestly don't think I would have ever thought to go here for Sunday Dinner, and it was a delicious and relaxing experience. 

Even though we got invited along I am always 100% honest in my reviews. Obviously, everyone has different tastes but I highly recommend trying Revolution Newcastle Sunday Soul for yourself.


Pin For Later
Sunday Dinner in Newcastle - Revolution Bar

Share:

1 comment

  1. We really don't go out for Sunday lunch enough (I always call it lunch which I've been told is cos I'm southern!) Wow this looks so incredibly good, we're going to have to make a visit!

    ReplyDelete

Blog Design Created by pipdig